2.17.2011

My experience with driving manual on the wrong side of the road in Africa:


The second night of our vacation (in the small town - Springs River - with one main street) a few of us decided to get some ice cream. So we drove into town and after sitting outside of the parlor with the blinking ELVIS sign (that by the way was so loud that even if you closed your eyes you could tell when it was changing – It was like we stepped back in time to the time when Greece (the movie) was made)! When it was time to go I through out the ider that I needed to learn how to drive stick.

So brave Patrick decided that was an ok idea and that he would sit shotgun. He coached me through the process.. getting it started and put into the right gear. He sat with one leg on my side so that he could help me with the clutch at the beginning. So I got it into reverse and got it to go a little and then stalled. Mind you I had a full car. Two girls and two guys.. the car was filled with laughter and talking and me freaking out!

1. I had only ever driven stick 2 times in my life. 2. I was on the wrong side of the car and road. 3. I was with 4 people that I had just met a week before. Have no fear despite the odds that were against me, I managed to get the car reversed and pull out on the correct side of the road (the left) and then got the car into first and second. I pulled into the hostel, proud that I had made it that far (like maybe a quarter of a mile). There was so much to think about I sometimes forgot to turn the wheel. I finally pulled into the parking spot (or started to) and I freaked out and then it staled. I got it restarted and finally got it pulled in with out hitting anything or anyone! I was so proud of myself and the people in the car were just thankful to be alive. That might be the only time that either of those guys attempt to teach me to drive stick. Maybe I can find someone else to do it! I want to get good at it.. you know just in case I ever need to drive here in Africa or I guess anywhere in the world but America!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment, or question.. or just a nice thought --- right here.