2.06.2011

Bush Camp/Accommodation


My first weekend in South Africa was spent in the ‘bush’ of Africa – a place filled with thorns, monkeys, limited clean water, 50 Americans, a few from different countries and awesome counselors - Coach, Smiley, Mano, and Lu Lu.

It was hot, humid and rainy when we were there. They had about 3 inches of rain in about 3 hours! They have been in a drought for 2 years but of course it would rain when I had to sleep in a tent and spend all day outside. Despite the torrential downpour that was happening we kept playing outside – some did yoga , others rain around doing team building activities, some ran through the chocolate factory (aka mud pit) and then jumped in the river. I stayed outside for awhile trying to complete some tasks but then I stepped on a thorn right when lighting was striking and I decided that living was more important! Haha

We left drenched, dirty and on a wagon being pulled by a local on a tractor. Sixty of us were crammed and standing on this wagon (maybe something to carry fruit) being pulled out of camp! Flexibility was key when thorny branches were covering the road. Outside of camp we saw four little boys coming our way. They were bare foot, dirty and in ripped up clothing. The only English they knew was money.. but they did know how to hi-five and give thumbs up! Haha


After camp I was taken to my accommodation – I had been telling myself during bush camp that it was going to be amazing (knowing that it would probably not be judging on Annie’s Cove – what I had seen!) We pulled up and they told me to get out.. I was standing in front of a nice gray gate. I had to be in the wrong place.. but no they told me to go in and when I walked up the stairs and into the apartment, I was in shock. There was no way it was real. It looked like a 5 star hotel – ok well maybe that was because I had just spent the past two nights in a tent with flooded grounds from the rain, I smelled like poop and was exhausted!

I met my roommate Breana, and was showed to my room by the landlords June and Gail. They told me about the pool out back and Bri area (BBQ). It was spectacular and the shower I took never felt so good! I sat back drank some cool (still not ice cold but way colder than the hot/luke warm water I had been drinking for 2 days.) I was taken to the store to get food by June and was able to get on the Internet! AHHH zeee Internet! It was the first time in like 5 days. I am started to get good at being productive when I have it since I have to walk 20 minutes one way to connect! Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment, or question.. or just a nice thought --- right here.