3.07.2011

Got to worship - South African style :)

Sunday was relaxed. I laid by the pool in the morning and read my Nelson Mandela book “A Long Walk to Freedom” and worked on getting rid of my tan lines. I ate some lunch, listened to my roommate’s stories about a rave that she went to on Saturday night – soooo not my thing. Then I rode my bike to Spar (the grocery store) and was hoping to take my laundry to get washed at the little store next to Spar but they are closed on Sundays. So I walked around the grocery store with my bag of dirty clothes. I wonder what people think about me sometimes! haha Then I needed my bike seat raised so I walked into the hardware store (which is in the same complex as Spar, there is a Pizza place, a laundry mat, an electronics place, a liquor store (which apparently is where you buy beer – they don’t sell it in grocery stores, and then a hardware store) with my dirty laundry and my groceries.

I found a nice man to help me raise my seat and I conveniently (or not so much) wore a skirt so it was hard and awkward for me to make sure that the seat was the right height. Oh well it all worked out with (hopefully) not to many people seeing my butt! Haha. I rode home with all of my things, got lunch, hopped back on the bike and headed down to Friends (The internet cafĂ© where I always go to skype and check email (and of course facebook but I think that is just a given!) when I don’t want to go to campus). I got to skype my whole family! Andrew first and then the rest of them a little later.. plus I even got to see the cat.

That evening I went to a church service with a friend, Natasha, who I met in my stained glass class. She is 25 and works as a math (or maths as they call it) tutor but in the mornings she takes stained glass! I had told some of the Annie’s people about it and I guess they wanted to go as well. So Scott, Gregor, Ano, Shawn, Alyssa and I all went with Natasha to church. Scott still had a car from the weekend adventures so they followed Natasha and I. The service was great. I got to learn some Africans – Skon (pronounced: Scone) Jesus Skon (shine Jesus shine!).

Afterwards we went out to eat at Walmer Park. I got some lasagna (which they spell lasagne). It was ok – very different from American lasagna. It was kind of bland. Afterwards we all packed into Scott’s car so that Natasha didn’t have to take me all the way home. Then on our way back – we found out that one of the guys needed a ride back to the airport from returning his rental car. So we picked him up. No problem we only had 7 people in a very small 5 seated car. Helmut was sitting on Gregor’s lap in the front, Scott was driving, and the rest of us were squashed in the back. It was a pretty awesome sight I am sure! We made it home safe and sound.. what an awesome Sunday in P.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment, or question.. or just a nice thought --- right here.