2.08.2011

Orientation and hours spent at Friends






I spent the morning attempting to understand how to sign up for classes and remember where everything is on campus, at least the important things like where the Internet was located. It is so odd that Internet is so hard to come by… which is why when I go to Friends (the small cafĂ© right near the grocery store – pick-n-pay) there are ALWAYS people I know. You can get Internet there as long as you buy something. So I usually get a drink for a dollar and sit there until my computer dies. I was there for about four and half hours because I met up with the girls from Annie’s Cove, the Irish guys, and a few other foreigners!

That night we crammed 6 of us into Pang’s cab car (I guess he is the one who is infamous with all International Students both past and present!) He was great and told me that he knew these roads ‘Like the back of his hand!’  And that he would be back ‘now’ to get us. They use ‘now’ to describe everything. It is either ‘just now’ or ‘now now’ or ‘now’. They use ‘shame’ – which sort of means oh my, or oh no maybe. Fries are chips and chips are crisps. And you can tell who the Americans are because our faces are bright red and peeling off!

Still no cell phone (they are out of the cheap ones) and no Internet at home but at least I can get it for fairly cheap at Friends! What a great title for that place – I have met so many people there, ones that I knew before and new people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment, or question.. or just a nice thought --- right here.