9.13.2012

kristen teeecha.



9.10.2012 - 9.14.2012


teaching.. and Chungju visit





...........................................................................................




the day the sun was shining.
Well.. most days start to run together. However, a couple things stick out. On Monday, I was laying outside on the front steps to the school, enjoying the one sunny day (in who knows how long), when the principal walks up. Of course we can't really speak to each other - I just attempt to do a lot of bowing (in-sa--ing) and hope and pray he likes me! Anyway he proceeds to ask my Korean co-scholar if I am tired and need to sleep in a bed they have at the school (for sick kids - or I guess lazy American's who can't handle 12 hour days!) I said 'No, it's ok. I was enjoying the sun.' I later asked my co-scholar if he thought I was insane... she said 'Well, Korean's don't lay on the ground and aren't ever in the sun. But I think he understands because you are American.' ... so now that my principal thinks I'm crazy - things should go well. 

           
                    Side note: Everything is very hierarchal here in Korea. Anything an older person says.. goes pretty much. So, the Principal is the head of the school. There is also a chain of commands so when my 1st graders are being horrible (story later), I can't just 'send them to the Principals office.' I first have to tell my mentor teacher then the head teacher then the Vice Principal then finally the Principal. I am not quite for sure what he does then, all I know is he is basically Donald Trump and him liking me ='s my life is happier!

...........................................................................................



Wednesday was also full of memories. At lunch the co-teachers decided that I needed a Korean name. This came about when I told them they need to make a code name for me, since I can still understand my name even when it's said Korean-like. I hear... blah blah kskjfjwiejiagi kristen, palbjjpjf blah blah and know they are talking about me but I have no clue what they are saying. So I look for guidance and most of the time they just laugh or will maybe translate one part. haha oh well. I don't really care. So they gave me the name Tae Hee, which I guess means 'big pleasure.' The one teacher said to me, 'It's because you bring us happiness and pleasure.' - (probably because they can laugh and make fun of me without me knowing, but I think it is all in good fun.. maybe! :) I guess Kim Tae Hee (where Kim is the girls last name) is a very famous model/who knows what but she is really pretty. So I guess that is also a compliment.


...........................................................................................


Then comes the afternoon - the part where the kids come to my classroom and I actually have to do my job. My first class is grade 1. This is the class with the kid who speaks English fluently. They were being really rowdy from the get-go and hitting each other. Being totally out of hand. I was trying to control it - but it is hard to tell kids what to do when they don't understand you. I finally decided they were going to put their heads down (after my co-scholar had left with a kid who was crying because he got hit in the face with a pencil). So I went around and showed them what heads down meant and Tony helped me translate as well. I made them be quiet and keep it like that for a couple of minutes. No more nice Kristen Teecha (how they say teacher). The rest of the day was good though. My 3rd graders screamed at the top of their lungs to the song 'Baby' by Justin Bieber. They can't ask me or tell me things in sentences but they can sure sing all the words to this song (well at least a couple of the girls!) My 4th graders were good as well. I think 3rd and 4th are the best age!!


...........................................................................................



butt padding for all the Asians with no butts!
we call those cheeseburgers in America...

these are popular here - the pot of ?! over a
flame=delicious. this is the place
the lady was basically force feeding me!
After school Wednesday I went to Chungju (not my city -- Cheongju -- but one that sounds really similar but pronounced choongju) to see Naomi and Emma (my awesome British friend!). My mentor teacher lives in this city, so he gave me a lift. I am in love with Chungju and wish I would have been placed here to live. It is smaller but still has everything you need, plus it is only a 30 minute drive from my school! (so much better than 1.5 hours!) I guess I will just be visiting here A LOT! We went out to eat at a place where they cook the food right in front of you in a big pot (it is quite popular here). This place had almost a curry spin to it and it was delicious. I even got fed by the hagju-ma (one of the older ladies who was cooking our food). She took out a piece of dok (rice cake) and put it in front of my mouth. She then also made me a leaf sandwhich (for lack of what to call it) and I ate that as well. Later she brought out some Pepsi for us to drink. People here are so unbelievably nice. I can't wait till the day I can actually speak to them and understand what they are saying!




On Thursday I skyped (FaceTimed) with family and a couple of friends. It was a chill day, since my friends were at work. Emma and I walked around town that afternoon and I bought some apples! --- so excited!! That night we ate out again and this time the worker new English! I also started a conversation with some high school senior girls at the table next to us. They said 'blah blah blah.. facebook.. blah blah blah.' So, I looked up at her and smiled! Then we started asking them all sorts of questions. We talked about almost everything. I love when I find Koreans who speak English fairly well :) Afterwards we headed back to E-Mart (wal-mart and costco and a mall all had a baby and created E-Mart or it's brother HomePlus!) and hit up our massage chairs. This time we got ice cream and a massage, so it was even better. They also had wifi, so I really saw no need to ever leave! Don't worry I did leave the place and sadly went back to teaching that Friday. My mentor teacher picked me up and we were on our way back to school!

massage chair... good but a little painful.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment, or question.. or just a nice thought --- right here.