9.07.2012

first week of teaching.






9.3 - 9.7

teaching is exhausting..... (so thankful to all my amazing teachers in my life and all teachers.. my mother and other relatives and friends as well. You guys rock and I know you're making a difference!!)



me... on friday getting ready at 6:30. why am I awake?




























...........................................................................................


So, I taught Monday (my first day), Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. My schedule looks like this...

      Monday afternoons: 1st grade, 6th grade, 5th grade (40 minutes each)
      Tuesday @ 9:40: 5th grade English class with Korean teacher
      Tuesday afternoons: 2nd grade, 4th grade for (80 minutes)
      Wednesday @ 8:50 & 10:30: 6th grade, 3rd grade English class
      Wednesday afternoons: 1st grade, 3rd grade, 2nd grade
      Thursdays: OFF
      Friday afternoons: 2nd grade, 3rd grade for 2 periods
      Then I play volleyball on Friday with the teachers 



my walk to school from the bus stop.
So Tuesdays and Wednesdays I sit in on the 3rd, 5th and 6th grade english classes. I help the teachers with whatever they need help with. English starts being taught in a formal classroom setting in Korea in 3rd grade. The afternoon classes, I have to make up the lesson plans for and teach alone (basically). I have Korean co-scholars who know English so they are there to help me with the kids and translation if absolutely necessary. I have two -- Tina and Eugene - Tina has been working here for a while. Eugene is new to the program. He also lives in my city, so we will be able to hang out, hopefully! However, I found on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week (when a co-scholar wasn't present), it was not that hard for me to communicate with them. Or so I thought. I think they understood most of what I was saying. Since I know no Korean at all the kids are forced to try to speak English to me. However, when there is a Korean present they ask them in Korean instead. I am going to try to stop this as soon as possible. I don't want them to be able to take the easy way out.

...........................................................................................



Lets see... the students. Oh my gosh they are adorable. They really are good kids (at least so far). My 1st graders know more than I was expecting, especially when one kid in the class grew up in Latin America and is basically fluent in English Spanish and now Korean. So he was my little helper on Wednesday when I didn't have a co-scholar. He translated once and helped me say words. If I don't get him involved he is really bored and causes trouble. My 2nd graders are pretty good. They are so energetic but good and know quite a bit as well. One girl even knew how to tell me she was thirsty and wanted some water (with some actions but she knew the word thirsty). My 3rd graders - the biggest bunch of 14 - are great too. I am able to joke around with them more and they understand even more. The 4th graders were memorable. They were my wildest bunch, but we had a lot of fun. I took several pictures of them - because they wanted me to. :) I had taken my camera so I could try to memorize their names/faces. But it turned out to be a mini-photo session, which I was ok with. The 5th and 6th graders are a bit of a blur since I only had them once. They are a little less rowdy. I just hope they aren't 'too cool for school.' I hate kids like that!



close to the size of our t.v. at home. maybe I'll see what
I can do about pulling up some football games.
Since sunday night football is monday morning for me!

I have been trying to have fun with the kids. I have been dancing Gangnam Style (which all of you should look up if you don't  know it. And also look up Mitt Romney dancing to it -- pretty hilarious!), attempting to learn some words in Korean - mind you they laugh at me every time I try to pronounce them. They will finally say 'ok.' I think they are giving up on me! I think it helps that I don't know their language (the past 2 TaLK scholars at the school were Korean American and both knew Korean -- not me at all!!) because 1. They are forced to use English with me. and 2. I can make a fool of myself trying to learn a language -- so they aren't afraid to try and mess up!






The picture to the left one of my 3rd grade students wrote. I really wonder if he has been disowned from his family. A Korean kid not liking rice? That is like an Iowa kid not liking corn or meat. It just doesn't happen. So I want you all to know, that I have successfully found a Korean who does not like rice!














...........................................................................................



The teachers are all fantastic as well. One teacher (the 4th grade teacher) brought me bananas one day after learning I LOVE fruit! And on Friday she game me some eggplants (well I think that is what they are). They attempt to speak English to me, which I appreciate. I really do wish I knew their language more. I want to tell them so much more and get to know them more. I think that is the hardest thing about not knowing a language. I don't want them to think I am rude. I just wonder what they do think of me!? Hopefully they like me. The lunch ladies seem to at least. They learned I can't have key-ran (eggs) and now will show with their arms a big X (the way Koreans signal no) when something has eggs in it. Sweetest ladies. One tries to talk to me and of course I have no idea what she is saying - hopefully one day it will click :)



puppies.. my co-scholar said these are NOT the kind they eat. At first
I thought he said they were. I almost died. (near the bus stop)
I would say the only bad thing so far is the bus ride and not having Fridays off. Since I don't get back to civilization (yeah my school is pretty in the middle of nowhere - but for an Iowa girl that is no problem. There is actually more around it than my high school at home!) till around 7, it is almost impossible to travel anywhere. At least anywhere more than a couple hours (so Seoul basically). But I am hoping to be able to use a couple of vacation days every once in a while. Even though they told us we are not allowed to use our vacation days until we are on vacation... strange? ... yes!

I have been attempting to soak up as much as possible and experience everything. I am learning how to say a few things here and there but still no where near able to hold a conversation with most people. We can sometimes mime it which is good. I have gotten pretty good at actions. Working at CC Christian Camp this summer has trained me well. It taught me useful games (like mingle mingle - which I played with my 3rd graders on Friday!) and also how to make up actions to EVERY song ever made!





...........................................................................................




Random tasty highlight of the week. PANCAKES!!!! I found a mix last weekend and finally made them. Banana pancakes and peanut butter. My all American breakfast... for dinner. I was as happy as a little kid on Christmas (not me because I was notoriously not happy being woke up for Christmas morning - back to the NOT a morning person thing!!) haha Nonetheless, I am a very happy camper to be able to make me some yummy yum delicious pancakes (which does not contain rice or kimchi -- at least to the best of my knowledge!!!)








No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment, or question.. or just a nice thought --- right here.