7.03.2011

Barcelona, Spain

June 29th - July 4th


I flew into Barcelona on June 29th  and arrived in the late afternoon (still enough time to hopefully get to my hostel before dark). I had the details printed out of how to get to the hostel, since I knew internet would be hard to find and a printer – even harder. I got some information from the information desk and figured out how to get into the city from the airport. When I got off of the train, I tried to understand the directions (which were sort of vague and also used a lot of directions – which for someone who is not very good at directions in the first place and who is in a completely new place and country for that matter – this was NOT helpful.) I tried to use my broken Spanish to ask for some help but that didn’t go over to well. I asked a cute old couple and they didn’t know where I needed to go and didn’t know English. I caught a little of what they were talking about in Spanish and just decided to try to wonder around on my own until I found what I needed. The Lord must have been on my side because I finally found the Bus number that I needed. It was so complicated. There are 50 different bus stops and they all had different numbers on them and had no directions or hints as to where the bus stops were with the numbers that I needed. I found the stop and waited for the bus (59 I think). The bus pulls up and I decide to be smart and ask the man about the street that I was supposed to get off of. He looked at me blankly – oh it must be my American Spanish that he can’t understand. So I showed him the paper, which had the Spanish name of the street and he said no se. He didn’t know where that street was. Are you kidding me? I am going to be lost in Barcelona. I sat down – just hoping that maybe this bus would somehow lead me to the hostel. After a couple more stops the bus driver asked a lady who got on some question and was pointing in my direction. I didn’t have a clue about what was happening but then the lady walked up to me and started speaking to me. I had to really focus to understand what was going on. Spain Spanish is so different than the Spanish I learned, and it had been years since I really practiced it. So I was struggling, but through hand motions and me responding with some Si y No. I figured out I was to follow her because she was getting off at the same stop. ALLELUJIA. This was a miracle. She motioned to me as she started to push her baby stroller off of the bus. I hopped up, grabbed my small carry-on luggage and followed. She motioned for me to go a la derecha y a la izquierda. I knew what those meant and I understood by hand motions. I walked and walked as the sun was starting to set, hoping that this lady knew where my hostel was and indeed she did. I was so thankful for her and the Lord for watching over me. I checked in, placed my things in my room and hung around the hostel. I got on the internet to let my family know that I had made it, talked with some fellow hostel mates about where they were from and were going, and called it a night.

The next morning I got up, got ready and started trying to figure out where and what I was going to do in Barcelona. To tell you the truth I really didn’t know anything about the city. I just heard it was a great place – beautiful and it had awesome beaches. I said sign me up! Well that morning I met a girl named Logan and her sister Liza. They were from Chicago and were backpacking around Europe for a month and a half. They asked if I would like to join them for the day. They weren’t for sure what they were doing but I said sure. I would much rather be with someone in Barcelona than alone – since I had heard it wasn’t the safest place. And I soon found out that was the truth. We took off to see Guadi’s park. It was a somewhat of a short walk so we decided to get some exercise instead of taking a bus. On our walk we stopped for some lunch and continued on our way. What we didn’t realize was that there was a mountain we had to climb to get there – ok maybe that is an exaggeration, but to a girl from Iowa it might have well been a mountain. We made it to the top huffing and puffing but continued and started our walk through the park. We stopped to see some green parakeet looking birds that were feeding on some bread that had been thrown out. I had never seen green birds in the wild – so this of course fascinated us tourists. After about 15 minutes we continued our journey to only get pooped on. It was a green sticky nasty poop and was all over us – in our hair, on our bags and all over our clothes. We looked up and didn’t really see any birds, but I figured they must have flown away. These two nice Spanish ladies walked up and offered us tissues (baby wipes) and helped us clean ourselves. We told them gracias after they helped us for several minutes and were finally out of baby wipes. They went their way and we went ours. A few minutes later two girls were running towards us saying they took your money, check your wallets. I didn’t believe them, but decided to check anyway. Sure enough all of my cash had been taken – even the South African rand that I had been saving. All of my cards were still there it was just the cash that was gone. I was devastated and then my stomach dropped. What if they took my passport? That was the next thing I checked. Thank goodness it was still there. I never knew whether to take it or leave it in the hostel. But I had brought it with me that day and could have cried I was so thankful they hadn’t taken it! We didn’t know what to do or think or even say. We started to run in the direction they went but found nothing. These ladies were good. We had never once set our bags down and there were 3 of us and 2 of them but they somehow distracted us enough to steal our money out of our wallets and put them back. All in all I was soooo thankful I only lost about 70 Rand (10 dollars) and around 20 Euro or less so around 30 dollars.

The rest of the day we spent looking at the amazing Gaudi Park and the intricate things he created in it. We also saw buildings he designed and went to the Sagrada Familia. La Sagrada Familia is a spectacular cathedral that is still being constructed. The interior is basically complete but the outside will not be finished until 2026. It will tower above the other buildings and is so unique in its design. It is modern, funky and colorful. Gaudi was truly spectacular and absolutely unique. It is a must see if you are ever in Barcelona. I hope to return when it is finished one day!

The other 3 days were filled with wondering, seeing the market off of la Rambla, watching a spectacular water show up on the hill that over looked the city, taking pictures of a couple who we watched get engaged, and spent a whole day at the beach with many topless women and naked children. Downtown was filled with color, loud noises and scam artists trying to get you to bet on their games. We walked up and down the main strip taking in all of the happenings and also walked around the famous market off of la Rambla (which is the main drag where everything happens!). It was filled with color, smells, raw meats, foods, fruit drinks and everything and anything you could think of. It was so great to have Liza and Logan with me when I was walking around. Liza had been there before so she sort of knew her way around. The water show we went to was spectacular. There were so many different colors and hundreds of people who came to watch it. It was also seeing a couple get engaged. I thought about telling them I could email the pictures to them – but then decided that would be a little weird. So now they are just up on facebook – and maybe one day they will stumble upon them!

The day at the beach was wonderful. We got up and headed that way – which took about an hour since our hostel was located way up on the hill away from the beach. When we got there it was already packed with people so we had to search for a place to sit. I immediately noticed all of the topless women that were roaming around. It was so interesting and a little disturbing to me, but I guess I just got used to it and tried not to stare too much. But I must say it was nice to not have to worry if anything was showing – because everyone else was showing all they had. It was very hippie-ish and I kind of liked it (after I got out of my closed, small town, American mind set). We sat there all afternoon. I swam in the ocean (yup topless once I got in). It was funny I had actually forgotten my swimsuit top – it was shipped home with all my other things – so I was in a sports bra. I had the urge to just take it off several times so that I could fit in – but decided against it until I hit the water and not many could see! It was liberating. That night I put tons of Aloe on. I had forgotten to lather up in a couple of places and it totally showed.

The last day was filled with packing and a little bit of wondering before we had to part. The girls had to get on a train and I had to get a bus/train ticket that would take me to the airport. Their line was super long so I said good-bye to them while they were still waiting in line! They were so great. I am so thankful and blessed to have found them. I honestly don’t know if I would have survived Barcelona with out them! I got to the airport (and I am pretty sure this was the airport that never once checked my passport – that is strange!) So I got on the plane and headed to Paris!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment, or question.. or just a nice thought --- right here.