6.30.2011

England with Marie



Miraculously finding Marie in London – June 24th 2011.

I left South Africa around noon on the 23rd to fly to Johannesburg and then on to London that evening. I hung out with Jan and Adrian in the airport and later Hanna from Norway came and Marius. So we had a nice little group of foreigners to hang out with. But I had been chatting with Marie and she said that she would come to London by bus and we would stay there for a couple of days. So we facebooked back and forth and she said that she would give me more details soon about where to meet and such. Well it was a couple of days before I was supposed to fly out and I hadn’t heard the more details. She had just said something about meeting at Victoria station around 10 because that is when she got in. I asked and she didn’t respond. I was a little nervous but was like oh well I guess I will figure it out. I checked my emails and facebook at the airport and still nothing. So I got on the plane not knowing anything but it didn’t even bother me for some reason. I was just excited to be able to see some movies. So Adrian and I were on the same flight, so that was pretty cool to know someone kind of randomly. The flight lasted about 12 hours. 

We finally landed. I got my bags and went to get my passport stamped. The lady started asking me 20 questions of which none of them I could answer. She asked how long are you staying? I said um like 5 days. She asked who I was staying with and I said my cousin from Bradford. Do you have her address? No. Do you have her phone number? No. Who are you staying with here in London? I don’t know. (I was hoping Marie did!) I said I am sorry I don’t know this information but that I was hoping to find it out when I got into airport and used the Internet. She said no that is fine, I wish you luck, stamped my passport and handed it back. I said thanks and was starting to get a bit worried, but still nothing to bad. It would work our right? It had to? So I headed to check the Internet hoping Marie had responded. I was beginning to think maybe she forgot about me.. which I mean really how could she forget about her favorite cousin? I got on and she had commented on my post that said I hope I can find Marie because I don’t really know where to meet her. So she had written I told you VICOTRIA COACH STATION in big bold letters. I didn’t know why she was being so sarcastic or why she had thought she had told me because I had never gotten anything. But I was like welp I guess we will give this a try. So I sat around for a bit not wanting to get to the coach station to early. I met a family from New Mexico, which might have just made my day. I then went upstairs (after talking to the information desk) to get a bus into the coach station. 

Well, conveniently my card didn’t work. I am pretty sure my dad has told the bank like 12 times where I am and where I am going. But they still love to block my account, which I guess is both good and bad. I was very impressed by the kind ladies working the desk. They were willing to let me call my bank, which ended up not working. Then the lady said that I should try the Internet. After I told her I had no money and my card didn’t work, she was happy to let me use their computer behind the desk. She just turned it around and got me to google. I tried to sign on to my bank account but it wouldn’t work because they didn’t have the latest version of whatever program is need to run it. So instead I got on to my email and emailed my dad that I urgently needed him to call the bank and tell them to unlock my card. I also found out that my mom’s cousin, Natasha from California, was also in London and she wanted to meet up. So I wrote down her phone number, used my dad’s credit card (for emergencies only) to pay for the bus ticket, and headed into town to find Marie. I got on the bus around 9:30 and they said I would get there around 10:30, which was after we said we were going to meet. But I thought well hopefully she won’t leave and will wait until she finds me. I got to the coach station and no Marie. I asked the lady at the information desk what time the bus got in from Bradford and she said right around 10. Great.. had she already left? 

Mind you I have two suitcases and big bad with a sling strap and also my bookbag and all of it was filled with glass from my stained glass class. So IT WAS HEAVY. I started walking around the station, then outside of it and then over to the one where the people depart. I walked up and down and couple of times and was about ready to give up or try to the Victoria train station when I happened upon her. She was walking out of the doors as I was about to walk in. I don’t think there has been a happier time on my trip – 1. Because I hadn’t seen her in about a year and 2. Because I found her! I was getting worried that I wouldn’t. I remember thinking if only she had given me her phone number I could have called her (using someone else’s phone since there were apparently a lot of nice people in London). But we found each other and immediately starting talking about why she didn’t give me more info. But she said.. I did! I sent it to you on Facebook and I said nope never got it. Later when we were at her place we realized that it showed up on her Facebook that she had sent it but that it was no where to be found on my facebook. So we decided that anything important must be sent my email because Facebook and Mark Zuckerburg must hate us! But all in all I was right, we found each other and it all worked out!


London with Marie.  

We walked all around London for a couple of days. Seeing all the old historic buildings, peaking into a couple art museums, sitting in on an Anglican service, and eating out at a pub. We stayed with a lovely old gentleman with a good and proper accent. We of course drank our fill of tea and ate crumpets. The weather was actually quite wonderful and it only sprinkled once – I don’t quite understand what the hype is about England being so dreary. It seemed pretty nice to me. I especially loved that the sun was up from about 4 in the morning till 11 at night (well until I wanted to sleep in – then it wasn’t so great!) I got to see the Westminster Abbey, the London Bridge, The Eye (a big Farris Wheel), Buckingham Palace, Big Ben and Parliament and many more that I can’t even remember.

The first night there Marie took me to a pub and we ate some delicious food for only 25 dollars (the Pound is sooooo strong against the dollar it is absolutely ridiculous). She also ordered Fried Brie Cheese. It came with a raspberry sauce and it was the greatest ever! We also stayed out super late on evening till maybe around midnight (although it seemed like 9 since it had just gotten dark!) and we took pictures of Big Ben. It was amazing. I love taking night photos and it was a gorgeous evening. We also went to an Anglican service, which was very interesting. It was similar to Catholic Mass but I felt like it was a little more traditional. I wasn’t really sure what was going on but I did walk up and take communion. I just followed Marie – who had been living in England for a year and who knew what to do!

We also took a tour to Salisbury Cathedral, Stonehenge and Bath. The Cathedral was gorgeous and there was a wedding happening the exact time we were there. We got to see the bride and her father walk down the isle. I took some illegal pictures of it and it turns out they are some sort of royalty! When I got caught and told not to photograph, I played dumb and apologized. Stonehenge was incredible. It was just like you see in the books – old, falling down and surrounded by hills or green grass. The day we were there, there was a Druid religious ceremony happening in the center of it. Apparently it is a religion that revolves around the sun, so they come twice (or maybe 4 times a year) around the solstices. So all of our pictures have people where medieval looking outfits in the center of it! Marie was a bit upset and just wanted a picture without the people, but I thought it was pretty great because how many people have pictures where there is a religious ceremony happening in the middle of Stonehenge! Our next stop was Bath and it was so amazing. It was this cute city filled with rock buildings with a small river flowing through it. It is home to the Roman Baths – I was confused about what they are but apparently it is a museum filled with ancient Roman showers (or rooms and places they bathed). Marie and I decided not to go in and explore the city. I guess they are pretty interesting but I wasn’t to set on paying 20 some bucks to see some showers. I could go to the Home Depot for free and look at some!


Bradford.

Our last day in London, we slept in a bit, packed up our stuff and headed for the bus station. It was supposed to take us an hour or so but it ended up taking us FOREVER. We got stuck in some crazy traffic and ended up having to get off of the bus (which the driver was not happy about letting us off and I don’t think he was supposed to – but after begging we got off) and run to the bus station. We were a few blocks away and had all of my luggage – like 60 some kilos – well over 100 pounds plus Marie’s bag. We drug all of this stuff up a hill and about 3 blocks not really knowing where the bus station was. And we did all of this in about 10 minutes. We got the bus sweaty and exhausted just as they were about ready to pull out. We were so stinking lucky. I don’t really know what plan B was – all I knew was that we needed to make the bus and we did. I almost died but we made it. We got to Bradford – where Marie had been living for the past year around 9 that night. We took a cab to her place and got settled.

The next day one of her older friends took us around to see the Yorkshire Dales – rolling hills with quaint towns dispersed about them. It was gorgeous. Green hills, dotted with sheep and other livestock, surrounded by rock wall fences, which had been standing since the 1200 or 1300’s. So ridiculous! We wound through the narrow roads I swear almost dying several times. The worst was when a tractor was coming. He had to back up until he found a small place to pull into – then we were able to pass him.

Then next couple of days we spent hanging out in her school. She helped out in a 4th grade classroom and did a lot of art things for the school. So I helped her out with some projects and interacted with the kids. They were mostly all from Pakistan and were mostly Muslim. I got to sit in on one of their prayer sessions where they pray to Allah. It was so interesting to hear how the children talked about marriage and women. Most of them will probably have an arranged marriage. They live such different lives than we do! I loved the kids so much and was sad to leave them. I can’t even imagine how Marie felt after spending the whole year with them!


My time in England had finally come to an end. We went out to eat (Abby, her boyfriend, Marie, Leigh and I) to an Indian place, which had the largest Naan bread I had ever seen. It almost took up the whole table! England was such a great time. I was sad when my 7 days were up. But I was looking forward to going to Spain and also getting that much closer to being able to go home! I left my large suitcase, which weighed in at only 45 kilos with Marie so she could ship it home for me when she shipped hers! I was happy to not have to lug around so much stuff. I was down to one carry on sized luggage and that is what I would have with me for the next 3 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment, or question.. or just a nice thought --- right here.