5.22.2011

Addo Elephant Park and the Cheetah Farm





Addo Elephant Park
near Port Elizabeth, South Africa.

(Really enjoyed renting a car and getting to drive around at our own pace searching and looking for wildlife. They also offer tours, if you would rather go that route! All in all it's a pretty good park and a great place to see some elephant!) 




Elizabeth and Vanessa (girls from California living in the bantry) came and picked me up in the car around 5:30 in the morning! It was still pretty dark out but the sun was just starting to rise over the ocean as we were driving by. So of course we had to stop and take a picture of this lovely sunrise and of the pier in P.E.




We only had some directions that Elizabeth had looked up online that were not very specific. So of course we got lost. First of all we had gone the long way around, it took us almost 2 hours to get there when it could have taken us 45 minutes. But we got lost and missed the turn so we had to stop and ask someone. The thing was finding someone. We were lucky an older man was walking down the lane that we pulled into. He told us where to go, so we turned around and headed back the way we came. We finally made it to Addo Elephant Park. We paid our 35 Rand, got our map and started figuring out where we wanted to go. As we stated driving we didn’t see much, just some pretty scenery and maybe some kudo, which we had seen a lot of.


This park had so many rules.. no getting out of the car.. no running over poop or dung beetles because they are protected there! So you have to watch for massive elephants and also small little black bugs!



We turned around a corner and I spotted some Zebra. So we sat and watched them for a while and then moved on. We saw lots of other things, some wart hogs and more kudu and other deer.









However, we hadn’t seen an elephant until we hit this one area where there were about 10 other cars and safari trucks (that's always a good hint)! There were some hiding in some bushes and we could barely see them so I tried to stick my head out of the window but was standing inside the car. We weren’t allowed to get out of our car, but I wasn’t technically out so I thought it was ok (foreshadowing...). We drove a little farther and found a huge herd of elephants. I was still kind of hanging out of the car at this point because I was trying to get the best view of the elephants. It was my first time seeing elephants in the ‘wild’ in South Africa. I feel as though it wasn’t much of the wild – since there were paved roads and fencing, but for me it was close enough to the wild ! 



I was minding my own business, taking pictures when a safari truck reversed quickly and pulled up right next to me. Mind you he had a truck load of tourists. He said firmly yelling through the window on the other side of the car, ‘Ma’am that is an 800 Rand fine.’ I sat back down and said, ‘What?’ He said, ‘You were out of your car and that is a fine.’ I explained to him that I didn’t think leaning out of the car technically meant that I was out of my car. I really honestly didn’t know other wise I wouldn’t have been doing it. He said that an elephant could charge and kill me, that it was for my own safety. I was freaked out the rest of the time because I thought they were going to make me pay. The guy said he had my picture and our license plates. I tried not to let it ruin my day.
















I decided I would drive, to keep me from getting into more trouble or having to pay more fines! I was having a bit of trouble, then we found out that the parking break was still on! That was the issue. I did much much better after that. It was a pretty easy route. There were not to many cars so it was perfect. I don’t even think I stalled it when I was stopping and going. The only time I did was when I was trying to turn around. I got nervous because there was a car sitting and waiting for me! But I managed to do it. I got it turned around and got out of there. I don’t think I did to bad of a job. Maybe? I guess you'd have to ask my passengers! 





We got out of the park with no problems. I wasn’t on a wanted list or anything so I felt much better! Then we headed into town so we could get some food. It was a small little town with not to many choices especially on a Sunday. We finally found a restaurant as part of a hostel. I got a burger and some ice cream for dessert. The burger was amazing – it had pineapple and a sweet sauce. I loved it!






Daniell Cheetah Farm.

(A very nice little farm. The tour guide was very knowledgable and I felt like I was in his backyard! We even chatted about my 800 rand fine scare. We got to hold and pet and touch all the animals -- the ultimate petting zoo! I would highly recommend going here!)






Then we headed back to Daniell Cheetah Farm that we had passed that morning. We paid 50 Rand to get a tour and pet cheetahs and lions oh as well as some house cats. We learned that cheetahs can run around 100-120 km per hour! They also have claws like dogs, non-retractable. The cheetah we met was a 5-year-old female. She was so patient and purred so loud, like if a cat would be compared to a small electric car then this cheetah would have been a semi with no muffler! It was amazing to be so close to such a large and endangered animal. We learned that they don’t have a very high survival rate in the wild because after they catch there pray then have to wait about 15-20 minutes before they can start eating it because there body is so tired. That is usually when the food gets taken and sometimes their life as well.












After seeing the bigger cheetahs we walked by the babies. We weren’t able to play with him because he was to big and would probably end up hurting us. Not that they were mean but it would probably happen in them trying to play! 




This would be Mr. Timon and his little family!



And this is Pumbaa... 

'ummmmm, you know when we do this it makes you look like an alien with one eye, right? You look so silly!'



And this would be (a cat thing of some sort).

'Hey guys I can totally see you in there eating tuna and drinking milk without me. I see how it is... just ignore me and pretend like you can't see me! But I'm still here!'







Then we headed over to the lions. They had 1-month-old baby lions that we were able to hold and play with. It was like playing with a kitten (except they were much bigger and dirtier). We got tons of pictures and had to be told to leave.





We finally left the farm after seeing lots of different types of cats, returned the car returned and made it home. I had a pretty interesting story to share and tons of great pictures to show for it! I am glad I finally made it to Addo and got to travel with those 2 girls. It was fun being with a different group!





And how hilarious is this? The house cat was totally unfazed about be stalked by a lion, even took some time to rub it's nose on this fence. I bet this might be a different story in a month or two when the baby lion is 3 or 4 times that big!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment, or question.. or just a nice thought --- right here.