3.16.2011

MINI BUS - and other funny things..

The mini bus drivers (these ridiculous bus type van things, which are white usually with the South African flag along the side) are crazy first of all. And second the man that takes the money and yells out the window at people usually yells - "Town town.. down town.. towny towny" and then there are some honks in between there. I usually don't take these buses because they scare me until one day last week when I was with the North Carolina guys headed down town to look around at some shops. So we waved one down and they pulled over and the door flung open. We hoped in and sat on the bench seat. When we finally got there (after the man on the side yelled at people as he hung out the window and we picked up more passengers) there were 3 men yelling as well tried to get off of the mini bus. I guess they were maybe trying to get us to get on a different mini bus.. But I was terrified. I looked at Michael and he just said - 'say no'. haha so I did or tried.


On Saturday I was in a mini bus with my friend Jan headed to Green Acres (the large mall in P.E.) which was my first time going there. It was nice to see a mall and some civilization. haha Anyway the mini bus on the way there and back was packed and it was a crappy one that smelled horribly like exhaust. We were crammed in there with 19 people when the bus is only supposed to hold 15. What an experience. :) 


This past weekend I asked the take out Chinese restaurant lady where I could get some crab rangoon.. and she looked at me like I was an alien from outer space speaking some crazy language. So I proceeded to describe them to her - and after a couple of minutes I gave up and said 'oh well maybe it is an American thing.' Dang it I just want a crab rangoon (or many) what is a Chinese place if they don't have them!!


I also found out today that nyc doens't only mean New York City but that it also is a different/slang way of spelling nice. Of course the American in me was way confused and I had to ask my SA friend what she meant because I didn't think she was meaning to say New York City! haha


More weird things they say.. they call bangs - fringe... diapers are napies... and pacifiers are dumbies! It really makes you think why certain things have such different/weird names! 

2 comments:

  1. We have the same problem with Crab Rangoon! Never see it on the menu and no one ever knows what we are talking about! It's been driving me crazy because you know how much I love them! ahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh.. I guess we will just have to have a crab rangoon eating party when we get home! :) haha Seriously Asian food is rare here in Africa - but I guess the seafood, beaches and sunshine sort of make up for it!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment, or question.. or just a nice thought --- right here.