7.28.2013

Summer fun at school.




Things with my new school are going great. I didn't think I could like/love/enjoy my new kids as much as the ones at my last school, but I can. I guess I just like kids! (well at least most of them... and most of the time).


I've got a few favorites of course and I have found I really enjoy the older kids. I think because I'm able to communicate with them more. However, my 2nd graders are my best class even though they are my biggest class (13 students). They are so well behaved. I'm serious it's almost scary. Yes, of course they are still kids and can get a little rowdy and loud, but the second I say ok, sit down. They do it! I would love to take the credit but I think it's because of this one girl, Dana (picture here), she keeps EVERYONE in line. I'm not kidding. She yells at anyone who isn't listening or doing what they are supposed to. She passes out the books. She tells me who is not there. She takes a stick and smacks it on the table or on their desk when they are doing something wrong. She walks around the class like she owns it... and she does. She is basically teaching the class I guess! I feel like I'm even under her rule :)











One of my favorite students is a 6th grader named Harry. He's one of the best at English, he loves sports, he's tall, he's shy and a little quiet but still talks to me and explains what most of the kids are saying! Although he's started saying, uh, teacher English no. And I tell him no, English YES! haha He reminds me a lot of my cousin, Brian, which just makes me laugh!













July 19th - The RER Production (Robots, English and Reading):



So, Korea loves to put on huge productions and plays and assemblies. They make massive banners and all the parents come and watch. This one on the last day of classes lasted almost 2.5 hours. It was super long!



Traditional Korean clothes and drumming.


Robots. They did all sorts of fun things, like throw things and move and fight. 



Grade 3 and 4: Julie, ?, Ryan, Aaron and Amy.


Grade 1: Brody, Haley, Elijah, Lucy.



Grade 2: James, Matthew, Carter, Aiden, Alex and Ruby.


Grade 5 skit.





My role in the production:

I spent the week before preparing the 6th graders for a reading they were going to do. My mentor teacher, Olive (pictured on the left), picked the book 'I'll love you forever.' And it had a song as well... 'I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always and as long as I'm living my baby you'll be'. It's pretty cute and a touching story. But of course kids are kids and were like, uhhh teacher, why?























So basically we read and sang all week. They would practice reading and I would correct them. They would say Jew I would say it's zoo.. they would gul-rue.. I would say it's grew. They would say looketed.. I would say it's looked. That went on and on and on. But they finally got it, well mostly! And they sounded really good when they did the reading. I was so proud of my little babies :)


The kids who did the reading! Davinchi, Harry, Jerry (Grade 5), William, Tom, Hannah, Ben, Julie, Jenny and Sarah. And Mack (Grade 5) not pictured.





English Camp:
(July 22nd-26th)

Basically something for the students to do while their parents work (sooo... baby sitting?!). I worked 32 hours (when I normally work 15 in a week) and before you think, oh man only 32 that's not even a full 40 hour work week... consider this. I woke up at 6:50 left my house at 7:30, took 2 different buses for a total of an hour, to get to school at 8:45, to teach 4 - 1.5 hour classes, left school around 4 and got home to my house a little before 5:30. So yeah, more like a 10 hour day! But thankfully I co-taught with the Philippine teacher at my school. 


Monday - Sports Day:

The first day we played games/sports with the kids. We did tug of war, limbo, and a relay race.



5th and 6th grade - tug-of-war.


Amy and Alex doing the limbo. (2nd grade).



And these are the types of faces I get to look at everyday! Gosh I love my job! :) (Aaron, 4th grade)


Julie - 3rd grade.


Relay Race:

We did a water relay race, that I learned from working at camp. They had a blast... and even decided throwing water at Teacher was a great idea... and where do you think the water ended up... yup, I a soaking wet crotch for most of the day, awesome! 



Matthew - Grade 2.



Haley and Elijah - Grade 1.


Lucy (grade 1) and Carter (grade 2).



Mary - Grade 3.



Grace - Grade 4.

Tuesday - Songs and more.

We sang songs and did word searches. They seriously love word searches. I made a deal with them that whoever beat me would get candy! A couple students beat me the first time but they were kind of 'haking' (cheating) so it didn't really count. The second time, I smoked em. Huzzah!! I'm smarter than 5th and 6th grade Korean students! That should be a title of a T.V. show... oh wait.

Wednesday - Movies.

We mostly just watched movies and hung out. The 6th graders wanted to watch a horror movie (well 3rd and 4th did too - but I said they were too young). and plus I didn't want to watch a horror movie, I HATE them... and was scared! But the 6th graders insisted.. so I said, fine, whatever. Ug. yeah, I was scared.. but they were screaming too! And the movie they picked basically described my life.. a photographer who traveled. I don't remember much more than that, I tried to block it out once I realized it was basically my life!


Thursday - Cooking.

So I wanted to give the kids a chance to cook and eat something they don't have everyday and that most Americas eat quite a bit of. So what better than french toast? Right? And it's easy enough for teacher as well. Plus Korea has all the ingredients... added bonus!!!!


Grade 3 and 4:



Grade 3 and 4. Mary, Alex and Julie



Mark - Grade 3. One of my difficult ones - but he's still cute! 


Mary mixing the eggs for french toast.



Half of them don't look so thrilled.. I promise they enjoyed this and thought the french toast was delicious!


Grade 1 and 2:


Aiden, Grade 2 - stirring the eggs. They each got 10 seconds of stirring. It was funny how fast they could count, especially when someone else was stirring! 


Alex, Grade 2. 


Aiden, Grade 2.




McKenzie, Grade 2. 



Carter, Grade 2. 

I don't know how I managed to keep all these little crazies from getting burned and or hurt in anyway, how I basically cook their toast for them.. all while photographing the entire process. Dang. Sometimes I impress myself! 


But they sure are cute! Ben, Jackson and Dana - Grade 2. 

Of course they wanted to put the syrup on, but that DID NOT HAPPEN. Teacher was in charge of the syrup for very obvious reasons. 



Elijah - Grade 1.


And the liked it... success! 



Haha.. oh my life. Never ever ever a dull moment. This kid, James - grade 2, is the one who loves rubbing his head against mine anytime I kneel down at his desk to help him. I still haven't figured that out yet!? Oh kids, no more like... oh James.


Tacos:

And I wanted to do something different with the older kids and frankly I wanted to make something I could actually eat... so we made TACOS. Ok, maybe that's more of a Mexico thing, but close enough to American right? But don't worry I taught them a little spanish :) 




Grade 5 and 6: 


Lucy - Grade 5 making tacos. She's one of my top students.

One of my 5th graders was so cute, the boy in the picture above, and instead of eating his second taco that we made it wrapped it up. I was a little confused and then he said (in Korean and Liza teacher translated for me) - that he was taking it home for his mom. So sweet. He made another one for his dad too! :)


Julie - Grade 6.



Henry - Grade 6. (my favorite) He understands me and I understand him and we arm wrestle! It's like he's my little brother :) 


Some of my 5th graders were freaking out about the refried beans and so I told them 'If I can try/eat kimchi, then you can try some beans!' they said okay teacher, fine, but just a little! And after they tried the taco with the beans, they liked it. I said, seeeee!!! You have to trust me! Seriously, trust the American to know how to make a freakin' taco!

















Party!

On friday we made more french toast and some smoothie/milkshakes for grade 5 and 6.



Grade 5. 


Pudding!

Then for 1 and 2 we made chocolate pudding, the instant kind from a box, and smoothie/milkshakes! The kids loved all the food and they freaked out and wanted so much.. then after they were kind of rubbing their tummies.. oops, might have given them a bit too much sugar! haha



James - Grade 2.


Lucy, Haley and Elijah - 3 of my 4, 1st graders.




This is my thought process right before during and after this picture was taken.. oh dear lord please do not break my camera.. and wait, why do you HAVE MY CAMERA. GIVE IT BACK TO TEACHER. phew, safe at last.


Grades 1, 2, 3 and some of 4 also sang me happy birthday and it was so stinking cute! They did it both in English and Korean! It was a great end to a fun and crazy semester.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment, or question.. or just a nice thought --- right here.