9.23.2012

Danyang














Sept. 21 - 23

Cave spelunking and mountain hiking....






BEST PIZZA IN KOREA! (of course eaten
with pickles :)


A group of us (Sarah, Emma, Naomi, and Ben -- Naomi's U.S. Army friend) went to Danyang where James (from England) lives. Danyang is a small city nestled between mountains and a large river. Well it was large when we were there since there was some flooding! That night we met his friends, mostly from South Africa, which made my day!






the super flooded river -- that stage is not supposed
to be under water!

































...........................................................................................





(start with back left) -- Ben, Corey, Me, Sarah, Naomi, Emma, James








Saturday we walked to go explore a nearby cave. It was a bit of a walk but was mostly along the river, which was beautiful and the weather was perfect! The temperature in the cave was perfect, like air conditioned - but of course it was natural. We started to trek. We were along a metal grated path the entire time, which was good so we couldn't get lost. However, there was no turning back - you had to go forward whether you liked it or not! So even when we were climbing steep stairs up 5 stories, with a drop off - too bad, gotta climb. But it was beautiful and the cave had some lighting so we were able to see the stalactites and stalagmites (or I guess that's what they were!) There was also a lot of dripping water from random places, so trying to keep my camera dry was a concern. I would be walking along and all of a sudden a huge drop would land on my head. 












No worries we all made it out alive and found some said to eat our kimbap (like a sushi roll with no raw fish, just veggies), that we had bought in town before we went to the cave. The rest of the afternoon we sat around hanging out with some South Africans who were having a Braai. If you read my South African blog, you might remember what this is. It's basically a BBQ. Throw some meat over a fire and you have a Braai. This made me happy. It was like I was in South Africa again!







...........................................................................................






at the top of the mountain.

That evening around 4:30 we began the walk to the base of the mountain just behind James' house. We weren't far when my legs were already burning. Not for sure if it's because I am from Iowa, or because I am out of shape or why I can never seem to make it up a mountain without almost dying. I always have to go much slower then everyone else in the group. However, I did have some people who willingly volunteered to stay back with me! (mostly because they wanted to go slow as well). About half way up we met a larger group of Koreans. One man, from Philadelphia, started talking to us. He informed us that he owned the mountain. Can you own a mountain? This got a little awkward, we asked, 'We can climb up right?' And he said, 'Yes of course. Go ahead.' I don't know if it was a translation mistake or if he really does own that mountain. Anyway, we made it to a nice platform where we enjoyed a beautiful view of many mountains and the river. It was beautiful. It almost reminded me of Switzerland! (but on a smaller scale) We stayed there on the platform until the sun set behind the mountains and then made our way back down. 









Most people say the hike down is worse then the way up. DISAGREE! The 
hike down is much more enjoyable than the hike up. It doesn't hurt at all and I don't get out of breathe! I was the first one to finish the hike down and was quite proud. I will be the last one to the top, but you better believe I'll be the first one back down off that mountain. 




...........................................................................................







Sunday we chilled and sat around by the river while there was another Braai going to take place. The South Africans really love their Braai (it was also nation Braai day in South Africa that Monday - so there was a special occasion). Then we caught our bus back to Cheongju, about a 3 hour ride. But it's not bad when you are on a charter bus and I had a pillow so I was able to sleep. How did I know? Because I woke up and was drooling. Too much information? Ok Ok. Sorry! Well I slept and that night I slept like a baby as well!



All in all it was a great weekend. I really wish I was living in a city similar to Danyang. I like that it has more nature and doesn't smell like car exhaust and sewage all the time. I have discovered that Korea is the country of 20,000 smells. Seriously, you will walk down the street and guaranteed 

you will smell 4-5 different things per block. Could I tell you what they 
are? Most likely not, which is sometimes terrifying. There are good smells, weird smells, delicious smells, sewage smells and of course the smell of exhaust. 












No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment, or question.. or just a nice thought --- right here.